What was supposed to be a pitching duel between Cy Young candidates Luis Severino and Corey Kluber turned into a bit of a slugfest, as neither pitcher had his best stuff. The Yanks (61-31) rallied late to win 7-4 and stay 3 1/2 back of Boston, who won their 10th straight.
Severino struggled right off the bat, giving up a double, groundout and single for a run, and after a caught stealing, gave up a HR. The Yanks were down 2-0.
In the third, Brett Gardner hit the first of his two HR for the game, a 2-run shot that tied it up.
Severino gave the lead right back to Cleveland, giving up a run in the bottom of the third to make it 3-2.
Didi Gregorius, who homered off Kluber twice in Game 5 of last year’s ALDS, tied the game with a HR (16) in the fourth, and later in that inning Stanton singled, advanced to third on an error on Hicks’ sacrifice bunt. Bird, heating up, doubled to make it 4-3. The Yanks loaded the bases with no one out but could not tack on more runs.
Severino gave up a HR in the fifth that tied the game.
In the eighth, Gregorius walked, and with one out, Hicks doubled him in. Hicks stole third and scored on a SF by Bird that make it 6-4.
Gardner hit his second HR (9) of the game in the ninth for the final score of 7-4.
Not a good game for Austin Romine, who got the golden sombrero (0 for 4, 4 strikeouts).
Gardner 2 HR, 3 RBI
Didi solo HR
Bird 2 RBI
Andujar 2 hits
Great job by the bullpen. 4 IP, no runs, no hits.
Severino 5 IP, 4 R, 9 H, 1 W, 1 K. Gave up 2 HR. 2.31
Warren 1 IP, 0 R, 0 H, 0 W, 1 K. 1.85
Robertson (W, 6-3, 3.19) 1 IP, 0 R, 0 H, 0 W, 0 K.
Betances (H, 14) 1 IP, 0 R, 0 H, 1 W, 1 K. 2.68
Chapman (S, 25) 1 IP, 0 R, 0 H, 0 W, 1 K. 1.38
Other notes. Hopefully MLB is wrong. They give Boston a 62 percent chance of winning the division, the Yanks, 38 percent.
The Yanks are 16-13 without Gleyber Torres, 45-18 with him.
Ex-White Sox backup INF Sammy Esposito (member of 1959 AL Champs) has passed away at age 86.
As for Manny Machado wanting to play SS? He’s a great hitter, but if he comes to the Yankees, the Yankees already have Didi. The defensive runs saved above average stat has Manny at -20, Didi -1. Big difference defensively.
Albert Pujols tied Ken Griffey, Jr. on the all-time HR list with #630 last night. The only players with more are Barry Bonds 762*, Aaron 755, Ruth 714, A-Rod 696* and Mays 660.
Football player LeSean McCoy is in trouble, apparently beating the heck out of his girlfriend. We’ll see what kind of punishment the law and the NFL enforce.